Batteries have explosive gases. Don’t try to jump-start a defective battery or battery that is frozen.
Batteries contain vitriol, for your safety if any gets on your skin or in your eyes, flush with running water and get medical help immediately.
Never recline over the battery when making a connection or disconnection.
Before you start, you will need:
- Set of jumper cables
- A car with a normal battery that is the same voltage as yours
- Have knowledge about the difference between the negative and positive battery terminals and the negative and positive pins of the jumper cables. Positive is indicated by a (+) sign, and the red color; negative is marked by a (-) sign and the black color. The colors may differ but (+) sign and (-) sign in most instances.
- Park the cars close enough to each other and turn off both keys.
- Connect the positive pin of the jumper cable to the dead battery’s positive terminal.
- Connect the other positive pin of the cable to the positive terminal of the battery in the starting vehicle.
- Connect the negative pin of the cable to the negative terminal of the battery in the starting vehicle.
- Connect the other negative pin of the cable to the vehicle’s engine block, or other metal surfaces of the car–away from the battery. This metal surface is exclusive of the carburetor on the car with the discharged battery. This serves as your ground or connection point.
- Make certain all cables are clear of fan blades, belts and other moving parts of both engines and that everyone is standing away from the vehicles. Start the car of the battery providing the jump start; then try to start the car with the dead battery.
If the car starts, allow the engine to return to idle speed, then remove the cables in the reverse order that you put them on.
- Remove the negative pin on the ground of the car that needed the jump
- Remove the negative pin on the assisting vehicle
- Remove the positive pin from the assisting vehicle
- Remove the positive pin from the formerly stalled vehicle
If the car doesn’t start, wait a few moments and try it again.